Norwood Park Golf Club
For some 800 years, Norwood Park was owned by the Archbishop of York as part of the Manor of Southwell which was given to him in 956 by the Saxon King. In early medieval times a Deer Park was created in a tract of woodland pasture, notable for its fine specimen oak trees and fish ponds, by enclosing it within an earthwork that still exists.
Edward Cludd, the estate manager at the time of the Civil War, used his friendship with Oliver Cromwell to acquire the Park. He built the first 'pretty little brick house'. Too small for John Sutton who later took over the lease of the Park, it was replaced by the present handsome Georgian mansion in the 1760's.
Since 1881, when Lewis Starkey moved his family from Yorkshire, Norwood has been home to five generations. John Ralph Starkey planted the first Bramley orchard in 1910 when MP for Newark. His son William and grandson John have kept the fruit growing tradition alive.
The idea to incorporate and develop a superb golf course within the grounds was first explored in the late 1980's, but it took until 1999 to open the first nine holes. These are set within 100 acres which comprise part of the original Deer Park and the site of the original Bramley Apple orchard.
The second nine holes, set in a further 75 acres on the western side of the estate, opened for play in June 2002. The American course designer, Clyde B Johnston of Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, has succeeded in creating a magnificent layout which blends sympathetically with the historic setting of the Park and highlights its natural features and views.
The course will appeal to both the experienced and intermediate golfer who will appreciate the well-shaped fairways, large undulating greens, challenging surroundings and panoramic views.
The course measures 6805 yards from the back tees and all eighteen holes have their ownparticular characteristics. Particularly demanding are the four par fives where, with the greens being out of range in two shots for all but the most talented of golfers, pars are difficult to come by and birdies even more so. The numerous water features on the course lie in wait for the wayward shot and on the ninth, the back tee is only used for special occasions because of the challenging tee shot over the water hazard in front of the fairway.
To maintain the natural beauty of the original Deer Park there are no bunkers on the four holes that lie within it but this is no way detracts from the challenge as the natural features and hazards have been used to full effect.
The Practice Area, opened in the summer of 1998, is a special feature of Norwood Park Golf Course. It incorporates a 350 yard plus driving area, practice putting, chipping and pitching greens and a large practice bunker. Playing off grass all year round, weather permitting, these facilities have proved a popular attraction for experienced golfers and beginners to practise both their long and short games.
Tee Time Search
Located less than a minute from the market town of Southwell, fifteen minutes from GNER services to Newark Northgate, and approximately twenty minutes from Nottingham city centre.